Are you interested in volunteering for the YKCC? Excellent! Our organization is run 100% by volunteers, so we depend on people like you. There is no minimum skill level to qualify as a volunteer – don’t be shy if you’re new to climbing.
Perks of Being a YKCC Volunteer
- Hold your own key to the gym to climb whenever you want
- Receive a 50% discount on your monthly gym pass
- If you host a birthday party or other private rental, your next month’s membership is free!
Responsibilities of a YKCC Volunteer
- Supervise the gym during drop-in hours 2-3 times per month
- 2 additional volunteering sessions every 3 months, which could include:
- Hosting a birthday party or private gym rental
- Cleaning the gym
- Route setting
- Helping the board with advertising, event planning, grant applications, wall construction…
- Using your skills in other ways to help the club
Process to Become a YKCC Volunteer
- Become a member of the YKCC
- Hold a monthly pass for a minimum of three months
- Fill out a volunteer application to formally declare your interest
- Commit to volunteering for 6 months
- Get approved by the YKCC board
- Attend volunteer training to “learn the ropes”, as it were
- Receive your key and start volunteering!
Visitors to Yellowknife
Are you a visitor to Yellowknife who wants to volunteer, but you’re only going to be in town for a few weeks? While we appreciate your enthusiasm, the YKCC requires that prospective volunteers be members of the club for at least three months to assess trustworthiness before we hand over keys to our space.
BUT… visitors to Yellowknife can still help the club out in a number of ways. We’ve had visiting climbers set routes and lead workshops, and we’re always open to new ideas. If you want to contribute your time and skills to the club, talk to the volunteer on duty or email ykclimbingclub at gmail dot com with your ideas.
Click the links below to download YKCC volunteer documents.
YKCC Volunteer Application (Word)