Yellowknife deserves a proper climbing wall!
As advocates for current and future climbers in Yellowknife, the YKCC developed a proposal for the City of Yellowknife to build a public climbing wall for all Yellowknifers. This proposal was developed with feedback from the City of Yellowknife Administration, Mayor and Council, the Elks Lodge, and the YKCC’s ~100 members. The proposal went through several drafts and now incorporates useful feedback from these stakeholders. On December 8th, 2016, Yellowknife City Council agreed to go forward with construction of the wall.
The wall is currently under construction and is expected to open in March 2018.
The new wall will be built in the lobby of the Yellowknife Fieldhouse and will include:
- 4 anchor points for top rope climbing.
- It is not yet known whether auto belays or traditional belay devices will be installed.
- Bouldering on all wall surfaces up to a height of ~4.5 m (~15 ft).
- An overhung cave area for bouldering on the ceiling.
- A small break area specifically for climbers.
- Relocation of the existing front desk to face the Fieldhouse entrance.
- No changes to the existing playground space or equipment.
Please click here for all other posts related to this project.