Yellowknife deserves a proper climbing wall!
As advocates for current and future climbers in Yellowknife, the YKCC developed a proposal for the City of Yellowknife to build a public climbing wall for all Yellowknifers. This proposal was developed with feedback from the City of Yellowknife Administration, Mayor and Council, the Elks Lodge, and the YKCC’s ~100 members. The proposal has been through several drafts and now incorporates useful feedback from these stakeholders. On December 8th, 2016, Yellowknife City Council agreed to go forward with construction of the wall.
Proposed New Climbing Wall
The new wall will be built in the lobby of the Yellowknife Fieldhouse. The exact design will be finalized after the City of Yellowknife contracts a specialized wall design/builder. The schematic design below has been used by City administration to prepare its cost estimate and incorporates the elements that the YKCC expects to see in the finished wall:
- Multiple locations for top rope climbing.
- It is not yet known whether auto belays or traditional belay devices will be installed.
- Bouldering on all wall surfaces up to a height of ~4.5 m (~15 ft).
- An overhung cave area for bouldering on the ceiling.
- A central pillar in the middle of the wall.
- A small break area specifically for climbers.
- Relocation of the existing front desk to face the Fieldhouse entrance.
- No changes to the existing playground space or equipment.
Please click here for all other posts related to this project.